Pages

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Leaving town


My children,
We must run.
We must pack our clothes in
plastic bags and run out of town.
If we don't,
People from our enemy tribe will
cut off our throats.

Opiyo my son,
You will carry our last born
on your back while I carry
our heavily loaded bags.
When you get tired,
Achieng is here... she will help you.

My children,
We must run as fast as we can
from this burning town.
You saw how bullets were sprayed
In the stomach of your dad!
They ripped off his intestines and
tucked them inside his mouth.
He now lies cold in the mortuary,
like meat for sale in a butchery

Achieng my daughter,
I know your are terrified.
But please,
I beg you to be strong.
If we don't flee from town
before dawn
we'll be burned to ashes by throngs of
angry men.

My children,
Put on your shoes!
Wear your thick jackets.
If it will rain in the middle of
Our journey,
We will hide below a tree and cover
ourselves with blankets.
But till then,
We must leave this town.

Grandpa is waiting for us.


Source

No comments:

Post a Comment